1.20.2012

Letter to Graham

Dearest Graham,

I can't believe that you are EIGHT!  God has used your life to refine my character and draw me to him like nothing else.  You are growing in wisdom and stature and I love hearing your perspectives on life, faith, and everything in between.  You shared with us that you'd like to be an inventor or an engineer, making new creations and designs to help people.  Daddy and I are excited to see all that God has in store for you in your ninth year and beyond, Graham!

You have transitioned from a little boy into a big boy this year.  You have demonstrated a need for more independence this year.  Sometimes this need is expressed verbally, and other times it shows up in your need to debate even the smallest of directives, blatant disobedience or a lack of confidence when trying something new.  I confess that I think I've protected you too much...held back by my own fears that you might get hurt or exposed to danger.  So, this is the year when you learn to exert your independence, and I learn trust God with your life and watch you spread your wings.  :)  I love you so much, son! 

You are quite the comedian!  You have a dry, sometimes snarky sense of humor...and often when you are being funny, you say it in this low deep voice that makes you sound a little like Jerry Seinfeld, ha!  Maybe because daddy has indoctrinated you with Seinfeld humor??  You also LOVE to jump out and surprise/scare your sisters and I...or your Nana, who had the shock of her life  when you jumped out from behind the counter in the kitchen!  

You love to read.  Some of your favorites are Calvin and Hobbes, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, the Narnia Series (CS Lewis), Missile Mouse, and Fantastic Four.   It is not uncommon for you to read a chapter book in one day.  You are content to snuggle up in bed after the girls are asleep and read quietly.  You still enjoy perusing a new Lego magazine.  Right now,  your favorite Lego series is Ninjago. 

You are very interested in American and World history.  In addition to a few fun gifts, I'm pretty sure your favorite gifts were the loaves of  banana bread from the Bunts (that no one else was allowed to touch!) and your new history primers from Nana and Papa.   

This year, we decided not to renew our Disney World passes.  You were not too disappointed about this.  In fact, we were watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with the girls one afternoon and you told me (very politely) that maybe we shouldn't go to Disney for a while, it was not to exciting anymore.  My heart ached a little, observations like these make me realize how much you are growing up!

You still enjoy any type of Wii game or computer game and would be content in front of electronic devices of any kind.  We really work to set parameters on your "screen" time and remind you that the use of these devices are a privilege, not a given to be abused.   With cellphones, facebook, texting and constant access to technology, I think it is safe to say that we are working setting limits on these devices as a family!  :)

You continue to shine academically!  We began Lee Virtual School this month, and I think you really enjoy that time with Daddy and I (Daddy teaches science and social studies and I cover core and math.)  You also love to learn about God's word and can memorize scripture so quickly! 

You are a great brother, Graham.  You and Hannah Reece are fiercely devoted to each other, and you are very gentle and protective with Camille.  Your sisters think you are so special, and when you encourage them and speak kindly, they follow wherever you lead.  :)  It's so precious to watch.  I pray that you would grow in kindness and that God would continue to keep your heart soft and teachable.  

This year you have learned:
how to ride a bike
how to tie your shoes (double knot and all)
to follow the directions to complete a complicated Lego set all by yourself
how to swim

Some of your favorites:
fried chicken
tracing paper and drawing books
the library
math
Ninjago spinners
Wii (pretty much any game!)
hanging our with your "home brother" Johnathon
playing a computer game
lemonade and Sprite (as a special treat!)  :)
fresh fruit
camp outs in the living room
morning snuggles
your "guys" (stuffed animals)
super heroes
nerf gun wars
being home
Yogurt Mountain (build your own sundae)
Chick fil A
bike riding to McD's with daddy for breakfast
comic books
telling jokes

Here's to another year of you, D.G.!  We love you and thank God for the gift of your life!

Love,
Momma

No comments: