12.21.2010

Love

Christmas is almost here. Oh, I had lists and ideas and all sorts of wonderful plans for this December, this season of advent to bask in the wonder of Christmas with our children, our first Christmas as a family of five. And then the REALITY of life set in. A husband working furiously to finish finals and papers in order to finish his seminary career (six LONG years of bless-ed seminary, finished-so thankful!!) We have endured two months of sickness between our three children...stomach virus, Strep throat, RSV, Strep throat again. I think I've wished everyone in the pediatrician's office a merry Christmas 4 times this month-every Monday! And on our most recent visit (yesterday) Graham accidentally scratched Daddy in the eye, which resulted in a corneal abrasion. He's been attempting to rest (in excruciating pain) unable to open his eye. Add to that the daily chores, plus attempting to proceed with necessary remodeling projects (we now have one FULLY functioning bathroom, yay!) and still trying to get organized and "settled in" while taking care of one or more sick kiddos for weeks now. Our advent wreath and Christmas Tree are/will be our only decorations out this year.

Today I blew my top. Yelled at our children, yelled at the dog, slammed a door. It was ugly. I struggle to serve patiently and selflessly. Today I became painfully aware of my selfishness, my weakness. Sleep deprivation only makes my weaknesses weaker. I will be heading to bed VERY soon. :)

What is amazing is how God's love casts its ever-present light over the dark spots of life. Millie's belly laughs and adorable "wounded soldier" crawl. Graham waking up in the middle of the night when he heard Dan get up, to help usher him around in the darkness since he can't see with his injured eye. A sweet neighbor bringing by a box of birthday chocolates just as my 2 o'clock hankerin' hit. Grandma inviting Hannah Reece over to make Christmas cookies while I ran some errands. A word of encouragement from a friend. An email asking for prayer for a loved one with cancer. Perspective. Thank you Lord, for perspective.

LOVE. God's love. This is why God sent Jesus to earth, as a baby. To show us what LOVE looks like. Thank you Lord, for this reminder. May you and I be conduits of God's great love this Christmas, and all year long. In our weakness Lord, may your strength, your LOVE shine through.

No comments: