4.25.2011

Anniversary Gift

Dan and I are not big "gifters" when it comes to expressing our love to one another.  I mean we love each other, but I know that "gifts" does not qualify for a major love language for either of us.  But this year, I was inspired to make (yes make!) something special for Dan for our anniversary.  

I love the Nester, this is no secret.  I love that she is so resourceful and decorates by shopping her house and is thrifty and makes curtains out of random textiles without sewing them and.....well, you get the picture!  Plus, her yard sale rocked.  But sometimes, once in a blue moon, she features something really cool, something I think I want to incorperate in our home that is WAAAY out of my price-range.  So what does this have to do at ALL with our anniversary? We (like Nester) have moved quite a few times in our married life.  Not all of these residences are by any means amazing, beautiful dwellings, but one thing each abode had in common.  Our family loved and grew there.  Something like This typography seemed like such a neat way to commemorate these places where we once called "home". 

Only one tiny road block to my must-have-one-of-a-kind-custom-typography.  A 12x12 piece was out of my budget.   Time to get those creative juices flowing!  

I gathered up:
  • a $7 print I found at Target, it was the perfect sized frame for what I needed.  (Approx 9"x9")
  • tiny alphabet stampset that I picked up months ago on J*Anns $1 aisle
  • white, red and black cardstock that I already had
  • pop dot adhesive stickers that I had in my stash
That's it!  Here's how I did it.

 
Here's the frame in all of it's original glory.  Sorry, I only like you for your outsides.

After I ripped the back paper off with an exacto knife. 

I stamped letters onto the paper, hand cut them, and stuck each letter on with a pop-dot, which added a little dimension, even under the glass.  Very scientific.  :)  Then I framed her up!


The finished product, it's not perfect...but I think I like it that way!
 
On our way out for a quiet meal for two.  A rare and treasured occasion!  :)

1 comment:

R said...

LOVE THIS! it's timely for me, too. i just snagged a giant wooden frame at goodwill for $12, and a smaller one for $8, and they both have the same backing. i was wondering how to get the backing off! :0) i have no idea what i'm doing with these yet...but i've been wanting big frames for a long time but haven't wanted to pay retail.