12.31.2012

New Years Interview 2012


20 Questions for a New Year’s Eve Reflection

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Dan:  I'm too blessed to pick one. :)  Starting Classical Conversations (homeschool) with the kids and our (Dan + Sarah's) trip to Boston.  
Sarah:  First year of homeschool.  Becoming more intentional in my role as a mother and wife...and all that entails...getting to REALLY know our children and discipling them.  The trip to Boston was such a treat for our marriage.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Dan: Dealing with Aunt Pat's diagnosis. (ALS)  
Sarah: First year of homeschool.  Adjusting my perspectives on education....my compulsory teacher training and experience makes this extra challenging!  Also, this season of the Lord "pruning" my character in so many ways is painful....but such a true blessing.  I am grateful and pray that the fruit God will eventually produce in my heart would be lasting and nourishing to those around me.  
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?  
Dan:  We have learned a more Biblical perspective of money.  Becoming more disciplined in this area to begin to (significantly) reduce our debt.
Sarah:  Getting pregnant with Lydia Kate!
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?  Fist year paying self-employment tax (as full-time ordained clergy) YIKES!
5. Pick three words to describe 2012.
Dan: Consistent.  Blessed.  Calm.  
Sarah:  Intentional.  Pruning.  Peaceful.  
7. What were the best books you read this year?
Dan:  I didn't read any books this year.
Sarah: (still reading) Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Dan: Sarah and our kids.
Sarah: Dan and our children. Also, deepening my friendships with Jill S., Rebecca Y. + Sarah P. 
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Dan:  I think more like an "adult" now.  From every perspective.  I feel like I have a better perspective on what matters---and what is just drivel.  There's so much drivel in these world.  I don't perform for people like I used to...even people I respect.  
Sarah:  I feel like I've changed in so many ways.  I'm becoming steadier...not so shaken by every little external change or experience.  I still struggle with fear in some ways, but the Holy Spirit has filled me with peace, as I learn to trust God and lean into him more in my day to day life.  
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
Dan:  I have no emotions.  ;)  Emotional growth for me would be experiencing emotions.  I think I'm becoming more compassionate.  
Sarah:  Some areas I am working on:  No more martyring.  Measuring/expressing my expectations clearly.  Setting boundaries emotionally, realizing that I am not responsible for the happiness/contentment of others.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?  
Dan:  I've realized that it's ALL the Lord.  I trust God.  God is sovereign.  My only challenge is to see what God is doing and see how I'm a part of it.  I don't have to create it.  
Sarah:  I'm learning to really rest in God's presence.  No more striving.  No more performing.  I don't have the energy for all of that.  It's life + energy draining.  Jesus came to give life ...truly I'm learning that his yolk is easy and his burden is light.  With God's help I'm shedding the burdens and weights in life, Jesus is strong enough to carry those.  I want to live in light of the joy and hope that comes with salvation in Christ!  Time spent in the Word and enjoying God's presence in all areas of my life will be my priority in 2013.    
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
Dan: I shrunk!  (256-218)
Sarah:  Growing a baby.  :)
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
Dan:  I enjoy conversating with people more.  
Sarah:  I am learning to be present and really working on being a better listener....which means being quieter.  Significant, lasting relationships are built on trust and "leaning in" to another person (friend or family) no matter what life brings....
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Dan:  Preaching.  (at work)  A finished project.  (at home) 
Sarah: Learning more about who God has created our children to be.  Seeing some fruit from training the kids to contribute to household responsibilities.  Their help is such a blessing as our family grows!
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Dan:  Striking a balance of engagement.  (at work)  Being present.  Even when things need to be "done".   (home)
Sarah:  Feeling (often) that I am at the end of myself.  Self-sacrifice.  It is a joy and a challenge all at the same time.  
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Dan: Tetris.   
Sarah:  Time reading articles/blogs.  I've pared down "what" I read to (mostly) enriching, challenging, encouraging material...but I still sense that I need to be more intentional about "when" I do these things.  For instance, not reading a blog while Graham is working on his math lesson.  Using my time wisely is a goal for 2013.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?  
Dan:  Spending it with family.
Sarah:  Engaging and discipling our children and investing in our marriage.  
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
Dan:  Just listen to your wife.  
Sarah:  Be intentional.  Trust God.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2012 for you.
Dan:
Sarah:  

No comments: